Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > General Welding Questions

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Re: Cold Cold Cold

I once was told "Son, You cant be a Pipeliner and a Pussy"

On them cold days I would hope to be in a Love Shack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsbig View Post
Don't go broke just trying to fit in, but make sure it will get the job done.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM

up on the Alaska pipline I was welding outside at-42 in nov.. in delta junction.. last year on the north slope it was - 30 when we got out of there
in delta -20 felt like a heat wave.....believe it or not you learn really quick how to dress and you get use to it..
Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Yeah cold dont bother me. Apparently were pouring concrete tomorrow. Gonna be hovering just above zero. Im so glad to be out of the house working again
Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 PM

Cool Re: Cold Cold Cold

Workin wyoming i have seen -40 but we have a little thing here called the WIND. It blows all day evey day. Don't stop for cold stop cause of the wind.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 AM

Yeah, the Wyoming wind is nothing to laugh at. This time of year, you never want to face north when trying to to take a leak.

Speaking of which, do you know how hard it is trying to get 2" of pecker out of 4" of Carharts? When it gets cold like this, Little Dummy looks like a grubworm wearing a turtleneck sweater. When I have to take a leak, I gotta poke my thumb up my butt and holler snake just to get that little guy to make an appearance. LOL.

When it gets cold like it is, you really have to plan out your bathroom breaks with everything else going on during the day. The little blue rooms are not layer friendly. Meaning it is damned hard to go in one and get enough clothes off to do your business without getting your gear all over the piss covered floor. You might think it would just be easier to go outside, but with the bitter wind you really think twice about what body parts you want to expose to the elements. If you get a case of the trots this time of year, you might as well stay home because you damn sure aint gonna get anything else done.

I am looking forward to some more of our typical winter weather to send a bunch of the outtatowners back home.

Tex
Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM

yea, 2 years ago 60 miles NW of Vernal for XTO. -20 to -40 for a month and a half on compressor B31.3 Lo-Hy hook ups. Sun up to sun down, no sitting in your truck cept to move it. Ate your lunch and breaks while you worked. 60 miles of white knuckle driving to and from the job site from Vernal. Cut it, fit it and weld it. Cold aint nuthin for a pipewelder. If your rigged up

Damn cold here in wyo.....glad im consulting LMAO, seriously, I miss it.

Last edited by pipewelder_guy; 01-20-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Now that is some funny shit right there Tex. LMFAO!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAR BAR 2 View Post
Yeah, the Wyoming wind is nothing to laugh at. This time of year, you never want to face north when trying to to take a leak.

Speaking of which, do you know how hard it is trying to get 2" of pecker out of 4" of Carharts? When it gets cold like this, Little Dummy looks like a grubworm wearing a turtleneck sweater. When I have to take a leak, I gotta poke my thumb up my butt and holler snake just to get that little guy to make an appearance. LOL.

When it gets cold like it is, you really have to plan out your bathroom breaks with everything else going on during the day. The little blue rooms are not layer friendly. Meaning it is damned hard to go in one and get enough clothes off to do your business without getting your gear all over the piss covered floor. You might think it would just be easier to go outside, but with the bitter wind you really think twice about what body parts you want to expose to the elements. If you get a case of the trots this time of year, you might as well stay home because you damn sure aint gonna get anything else done.

I am looking forward to some more of our typical winter weather to send a bunch of the outtatowners back home.

Tex
Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM

I have worked many a day pipelining in -30 degrees. Some days if we had a long stretch of Artic weather I never shut my machine off for days because if I did I couldn't get it started back up the next day due to the cold weather. I also during the winter ran synthetic oil in my diesel machine which helped a lot. As another poster stated you learn to dress for it. Cold never stopped production, We never had a day that we got colded out but we had days that we got winded out.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Just got the call @ 5:00am The school district where my wife teaches and the boys go…Cancelled school for the day! Right now it’s 29* with light rain. Houston cannot handle the cold. Way to many “Pedro’s in a Chevy S-10 with a rented Bobcat “ to risk being out on the roads
Speedy
Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM

I'm about 2 hrs NW of you. Our schools delayed till 10 this morning. That was decided last night. This morning, classes were cancelled altogether. Guess we got more sleet and snow than what was expected. Everything is WHITE outside!!!