Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > General Welding Questions

Old 06-04-2012, 11:26 PM

Question How to protect the tub

Hey I'm finally getting ready to set my rig up and I want to keep my tub. I have been looking and looking with no luck for something that I can roll up and then unroll to drap over the side when I have my leads out. I have found nothing and though maybe I can make something but I just don't even know where to start. Any advice? What do you other guys that keep the tub do to protect your bed paint?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:14 AM

Re: How to protect the tub

There is one think you need to understand we all like to take care of our trucks that's a big tool for our everyday work !! But sooner that later you will get scratches and stuff like that after all is a work truck !! Try some spray on bed liner !!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 AM

When I was still run a tub I just went down to Sears bought a roll of foam rubber the stuff people put down on the floor to stand on, and so finger clamps. I just draped it over the side used the clamps to clamp it to the inside of the bed worked pretty good when I got done took it off rolled it up might want to put down a bed mat
Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlearner View Post
Hey I'm finally getting ready to set my rig up and I want to keep my tub. I have been looking and looking with no luck for something that I can roll up and then unroll to drap over the side when I have my leads out. I have found nothing and though maybe I can make something but I just don't even know where to start. Any advice? What do you other guys that keep the tub do to protect your bed paint?
Attach the lead rack to the top rail of the bed, make it flip out 180*. You can also make each rack swing 90*this makes it easy to work to the rear of the truck especially if you use the role up wheels.
I worked with one guy that had all 4 on this set up. He used a cheater to flip it in and out the bed. His setup gave him about 6” from the side of the bed to the lead hanging down.
I second what Redface said. I have seen guys get run off, or just not get hired because there truck looked like it belonged in a car show and not on a location. I remember one guy wanted a fist fight with the back hoe operator because he drove by and got his truck “all dusty” said he spent all day Sunday washing and waxing his rig truck
Speedy
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Smile Re: How to protect the tub

Thanks for the ideas guys. I know it's a work truck things are just unavoidable, but if I would like to keep it nice for as long as possible. Oh and by the wag my truck doesn't look like anything that should be on the show room haha. It's just a stock 2009 Chevy 2509 HD with rhino liner, no fancy wheels or lights or whatever. To be honest I probably won't have reels or anything like that, for a while I was just going to roll my leads up and toss them in the bed.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlearner View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys. I know it's a work truck things are just unavoidable, but if I would like to keep it nice for as long as possible. Oh and by the wag my truck doesn't look like anything that should be on the show room haha. It's just a stock 2009 Chevy 2509 HD with rhino liner, no fancy wheels or lights or whatever. To be honest I probably won't have reels or anything like that, for a while I was just going to roll my leads up and toss them in the bed.
No no no put the lead on some kind of a rack and not rebar!!! you want to look
Professional
Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM

When I was running a skid or tub, I went to the local upholestry shop and had them make me up a blanket for each side the truck that was about 2 1\2' tall and 8' long. I held them in place with spring clamps to the top of the box. At the end of the day i just rolled them up and put them in the tool box. I still got them and its 8 years ago i had them made.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Smile Re: How to protect the tub

You wouldn't happen to want to sell those blankets would you
Old 06-05-2012, 06:38 PM

I would give them to you but it's probably cheaper to have some made there than to have them shipped from here!😄
Old 06-08-2012, 06:40 AM

what about some of those old fender covers the mechanics use when working under the hood? seems like they would drape over teh back of teh truck the same as the front

Tags
tub